Home Finance How to Reverse Money Sent to the Wrong Pay Bill

How to Reverse Money Sent to the Wrong Pay Bill

Safaricom pay bill PHOTO/Hivi Punde

Sending money to the wrong M-PESA pay bill number is a common mistake that can happen to anyone.

Fortunately, M-PESA offers several ways to reverse these erroneous transactions and recover your funds.

The reversal process varies slightly depending on the transaction channel used, but generally involves contacting M-PESA customer care.

It’s important to act quickly, as the sooner you start the reversal process, the higher the chances of success.

The recipient’s cooperation is also key, as they may need to confirm they did not provide any goods or services.

How to reverse money sent to the wrong pay bill

Here is a step-by-step guide on how to reverse money sent to an incorrect pay bill number.

Step 1: Send the transaction message to 234 or call 100 to contact Safaricom M-PESA customer care and ask them to initiate the M-PESA reversal.

Step 2: Safaricom will hold the money in the pay bill number not to be utilized before calling the owner of the pay bill number to confirm whether they received the cash.

Step 3: If the merchant confirms that they offered a service, Safaricom will call you back to ask whether you were offered the service. If you say you were not served, Safaricom will call the owner again to ask whether they will accept a reversal.

Step 4: Your money will be returned to your M-PESA account within two business days if they accept the reversal. If the merchant refuses to accept the M-PESA reversal, Safaricom will finally call you to advise you to report the matter to the police.

Talk to us

Thanks for reading our article.