In an effort to be more efficient to Kenyans, the Ministry of Land has been working to digitize all the land records in Kenya. Eventually, the buyers can now perform a land search online at the comfort of their home.
Over the past years, land records were uncoordinated thus abetting unscrupulous people to take advantage and steal it from rightful owners. All this is set to change with the digitization of all land records in Kenya.
What is the essence of performing a land search to a Real Estate Investor?
Performing a search is a vital activity when buying land. The result of a search will help establish the rightful owner of the property you seek to purchase land from and whether there are any pending issues relating to the ownership of the land.
Read: Top Areas to buy cheap land in Kenya
A land search will show the full name of the owner, its approximate size, and any claim on the land, for instance, where the land has been used as collateral for a bank loan or a surety in a legal dispute.
How does one perform an online land search?
With the recent digitization of land records, Kenyans no longer need to move from one office to another when searching.
Steps to take to perform an online land search
- Log into the e-Citizen platform and create an account
- Navigate to the Ministry of Land and physical planning and select the land search option
- Input the title number and complete the online land search form
- Confirm that all the details are correct before submitting the form
- Select your preferred payment option, which can either be through M-Pesa, credit card or a debit card. No cash payment is allowed.
- Once the payment is successful, proceed to print the results. The same information can be found on your portal anytime you log into your e-citizen account.
What is the cost of doing a land search in Kenya?
A land search costs Kshs. 500 and can be paid using M-PESA, Credit card or with a debit card. All landowners are expected to register their contact details with the ministry of land by inputting their full names, ID number, and title deed number in the digital platform.
When the said details are successfully registered, the owner can be notified whenever someone searches for their parcel. This surely streamlines land transactions by enhancing transparency
Thanks for reading our article. Got comments or opinions about our journalism? Please send us a WhatsApp message on
+254 733 290 656