Institutions worldwide are moving to online methods of doing things like trade booking e-passport application appointment, etc. Specifically, government institutions that see a myriad of citizens day in day out are slowly finding ways to ensure that they employ efficient and fast systems in place. This means that the traditional ways of going about things where people make long queues are becoming a thing of the past.
This process has been hastened in view of the ravaging Covid-19 that has seen more people employ precautionary measures like social distancing. The immigration department of Kenya has not been left behind in this revolution.
A booking system where citizens can book appointments and specify dates like when they’d like to pick their passports has been introduced. This system is to ensure order a method to allow for efficiency and order. To book an e-passport online appointment, one simply has to visit the E-citizen portal which will take you through a couple of steps;
- Login to your E-citizen account. For those who haven’t created an account, there’s a provision to do so.
- Select which group you belong to and denote whether it is your application or that one of children legally under your care.
- The instruction page pops up with information which includes how long you’ll wait to get a passport and the fees you will need to pay according to the category you belong to and the number of pages.
- You can then go ahead and select the option that applies to you as it pertains nationality, whether you have dial nationality or not.
- The next step will be to help you determine and indicate whether it is your first time to get a passport, whether you’re replacing a lost one. It also allows you to choose the number of pages according to the series enlisted.
- You will then be directed to a place where you can fill in your details which include name, gender, birth and other biological information like the color of your eyes. All fields with an asterisk must be filled.
- You will then be promoted to enter your parent’s details, next of kin details and lastly, your children’s details.
- This step involves filling in your recommenders’ details and that should be a person who is already a Kenyan citizen who knows the applicant but not an immediate relative
- The last bit is for uploading important documents and completing payments for the passport category that you chose.
- Afterwards you can choose a date, time and station to appear for biometrics. This is the only point that requires someone to physically present themselves. One can generate this appointment slip from the portal after applying.
The move to allow booking of e-passport appointments was greatly welcomed after a long time of queuing to submit documents outside Nyayo house where the immigration office is.
During the Submission you will need the following
- An eCitizen pre-filled passport application form and three receipts.
- Original birth certificate and photocopy.
- Original National ID Card & copy.
- Three Current passport size photos.
- Recommender’s ID Card copy.
- Consent letter for minors.
- Old passport for replacement.
- Parents National ID cards and copy.
E-Passport Application Fees and Charges
|Passport Type||Fee (Kshs)|
|32 Pages Ordinary “A” Series||Kshs. 4,550|
|48 pages Ordinary “B” Series||Kshs. 6,050|
|64 Pages Ordinary “C” Series||Kshs. 7,550|
|East African Passport||Kshs. 990|
|Diplomatic passport (48 page)||Kshs 7,550|
|Mutilated Passport||Kshs 10,050|
|Lost Passport||Kshs 12,050|